1943 photo as Lt.(jg)
1920 - 2004    
 Lt.(jg) J.M. Stubblebine
Squadron: VT-80
Ship: USS Ticonderoga, Hancock
Plane: TBM/3
Medals: Distinguished Flying Cross

    ** J.M. 'Stub' Stubblebine: A Short Bio  **
**   by David Stubblebine (#4 son)    **

      Dr. J.M. 'Stub' Stubblebine, a bay area psychiatrist died peacefully in his home at age 83 on 18-Feb-2004, surrounded by family.
      While always rightly proud of his Naval service, it was his combat experiences in large part that influenced his decision to become a healer and a promoter for peace; which he did for over 50 years, while still stealing some 'stick time' whenever he could. Always living within him were his passion for flight & all things that soared peacefully above the earth, a love for the sea, and steadfastness to the values instilled during his Oregon up bringing.
      Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, James Malcolm 'Stub' Stubblebine [Dad] was raised in Portland, Oregon during the depression by a single-mother. He graduated from Portland's Lincoln High School in 1938 and entered the University of Oregon. While in college, he took his first flight instruction and instantly fell in love with flying.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Navy History

boarding his tbm

      Forced to interrupt his academic pursuits to defend his country, Dad entered the Naval Flight Cadet Corps in October of 1941, earning his Aviator's Wings and Ensign?s commission in the autumn of 1942. From Nov 1942 through Jan 1944, he flew from bases in Puerto Rico and Cura' with Scouting Squadron 44 (VS-44), flying the OS2-U Kingfisher on anti-sub patrols protecting the shipping lanes off Maracaibo, Venezuela.
      Following that duty, he had the rare distinction of becoming a plank-owner for a second time, and this time a double-plank-owner: in the newly formed Torpedo Squadron Eighty (VT-80), flying the TBM Avenger, and aboard the newly commissioned fast-carrier USS Ticonderoga (CV-14). This was the first time (and perhaps only time) that a new Carrier Air Group was commissioned along with its ship. But there was no time for fanfare, as they shipped out to the Western Pacific and right into battle.
      Ticonderoga and Air Group 80 joined Admiral J.S. McCain's legendary Task Force 38 on 2-Nov-44, fighting in and around Leyte, Luzon, French-Indo China (Vietnam), and Formosa (Taiwan). Dad earned the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism under fire for his decisive part in sinking a large enemy tanker off Qui Nhon, Indo-China on 12-January-45; just nine days before Ticonderoga suffered a crippling and harrowing kamikaze attack off the coast of Formosa.
      Dad's own life was spared in that attack by things as ordinary as a piece of apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese on top: Dad had just sat down for mid-day chow when general quarters sounded. He paused for a very brief moment savoring the pie and cheese on his tray, wondering if he didn't have time to wolf it down. He left his lunch untouched, but that pause was just enough to put him a few spots behind in the line down the passageway. As he reached the ladder way up, the fire ball from the kamikaze's impact descended the ladder way and filled the passageway. The dog tags of the man on the ladder 4 or 5 spaces ahead of Dad in line were found at the base of the ladder - welded to the deck.
      Following the attack, the Air Group was moved to USS Hancock (CV-19) and, as part of Task Force 58, they were part of the first carrier strike on Tokyo since the Doolittle raid nearly three years earlier. They went on to fly against Iwo Jima and Okinawa before being relieved and returning home, passing under the Golden Gate on Easter Sunday, 1945.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dr. Stubblebine

US Psychiatry Logo

      At the War's end, the now Lieutenant Stubblebine left the Navy to resume his studies at the University of Oregon's School of Medical. His residency in psychiatry brought him to San Francisco where he settled for good.
      He worked with another young psychiatrist developing some new concepts and at Ross General Hospital they created one of the most successful private psychiatric hospital treatment programs in the state.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Drug Use and Abuse

      Dr. Stubblebine went on to become Chief of Psychiatric Programming for the City and County of San Francisco during the 'interesting' Haight-Ashbury days.

      From 1971-1979 he served as Head of the California Department of Mental Health, Head of the California Department of Health, and Head of the California Department of Aging under then-Governor Ronald Reagan.
      Leaving government service, he returned to private practice where he became known as one of the best psychiatric diagnostician anywhere.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Violence Prevention

      Private practice also allowed him to follow one of his other passions 'promoting non-violence'

Building Safer Communities - Peace by Peace

      Dr. Stubblebine became a founding member of Marin County's Violence Prevention Forum. Failing health forced his retirement in 2001.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      In addition to his wife, Pat of Rocklin and myself  (son David of Rohnert Park), Dr. Stubblebine is survived by his sons Paul of San Francisco; Will of Mill Valley; and John of Cupertino.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
In Memory

     On his uniform, under his Naval Aviator's Wings, Dad wore ribbons for the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal, the Navy Unit Commendation, the American Defense Medal, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with four Battle Stars, the World War II Victory Medal, the Phillippine Presidential Unit Citation, and the Phillippine Liberation Medal.
Of these, it was his wings that he treasured most.

The family requests donations to:

Violence Prevention Forum
448 Ignacio Blvd. #127
Novato, CA 94949.


 Copyright -2009- CV14@cv14.com ~